Thursday, August 31, 2006

Season One, Down. Season Two, Here We Come!

I finished watching Who Wants To Be a Superhero. I couldn’t stand to miss a single episode. In fact, I watched the reruns. What is it about that show? Its a rhetorical question. I’ll tell you.

Its pretty obvious. Who Wants To Be a Superhero? Who DOESN’T want to be a Superhero? The list would be much shorter. That is, if you dig down deep, down past the adult talk, past the fear of what co-workers would say, past all that, most the boys would find ourselves under the kitchen table playing with a Captain America action figure … maybe Captain Kirk … but the point is, we all thought that was attainable. What a fantastic show!

I typically can’t watch reality TV. It’s the celebration of dysfunction. But every so often something comes along that reverses the trend. This is a show about celebrating the good things about people. Oh, it has all the hallmarks of reality TV. Catching people being able to laugh at themselves. Comedy works. That’s great. After the show, many blogs, comments on MySpace, interviews with the contestants showed that, indeed, that was the case. Things were said, like, “I’ve never seen a cast of competitors who bonded together and helped each other so much!” Of course! These were people who cared enough about those dreams we all had to carry them with them through life and arrive here. These people are heroes, or rather, they have the Heart of a Hero. They found a way to bring it out. I love it!

I wish I would have known about the show. If they have a season 2, I must be on it!

Who Wants To Be a Superhero Cast