Monday, July 7, 2008

Went camping this last weekend with extended family. We all had a great time. Coming back and participating in family outtings is an eye opening experience. You are hanging out with people who know you are Citizen Prime. I say "eye opening" as the conversations (and non-conversations) ranged from "I'm going to pretend you're not doing that" to "Dude, you should put on the Prime Armor and we'll run through the campsite stunning people who don't pick up there trash!" to "I saw your Father's Day YouTube and thought it was helarious." And you start to realize you're making an impression on many levels.

On one level, the "I'm going to pretend you're not doing that" crowd finds it somewhat silly. And that's okay. I've always said, If I can get your attention, half my job is done. The other half is communicating the message, but that's for another blog.

On another level, I find it good for your character to be a real life super hero. Its constantly standing in the face of social norms and not being afraid to stand out for the right reasons. Too many people are uncomfortable with standing up for what's right. The other day, I was talking with a work colleague of mine, who said, "Hey, good for you, dude. I just go home, sit on the couch and eat nachos after work." I said, "All evil needs to win is for good peeople to do nothing." With crime encroaching on every city, I see far too many good people doing nothing.
And finally, I'll bring another level to bear. My sister-in-law was dismissing Prime and finally I said, "You know, family takes this a little too seriously." And perhaps society in general (and even some real life super heroes out there) take this too seriously. Here's the thing. Real Life Super Heroes and Prime are about raising awareness and excitement, not taking down criminals. Police do that. True, I'm working on forming connections with the local police to do that as well, but the Superheroic persona is about opeing minds and creating fun.
So for everyone who thinks this is silly, non-conformist and too serious, I say, "When you get up from eatting nachos and start living your dreams, let me know. I'll be there for you." And, I have to admit ... some part of me wants the same in return.
Until Next Time,
Stay Strong and Stay Heroes!