Friday, September 15, 2006

Throwing My Helmet Into The Ring

I mentioned in an earlier blog I was doing two things. The first was finding ways to define and coalesce my contributions to society into a form people can get a handle on. Real life super heroism seems like the perfect solution.

The second thing constantly on my mind in auditioning for the show Who Wants To Be a Superhero. A lot of people have very strong opinions about the show. Most the field guys, like Superhero and the like, seem to have a negative opinion of it. I’m not quite sure why. Perhaps they think it is a mockery of what is happening in their world. Perhaps they think it’s a joke. I can’t help but feel this show and its message, though hidden in a reality show, is truly what I am after.

What better way to spread the message that we can all stand up and be heroes in our communities, our cities, our sphere of influence, than provide a source of inspiration? What better way to inspire than to be on the show delivering the message to millions of people. I can’t imagine a better opportunity. It has always felt like the right thing to do.

Media is media. What were we inspired by, but comics. The ones we read as kids. The ones we read today. Finally a show has taken the elements of modern society and melded it, albeit in a pioneering effort, into a delivery mechanism for an appreciative audience. And it worked!

Feedback!

I thought Feedback and Fat Momma were very inspirational. And Fat Momma was her own first convert! By her admission, she thought the comic superhero thing was a lark. But here she is, delivering an exceptionally valuable message to the masses.

Yes, Who Wants To Be a Superhero is the gold ring. I hope I’m good enough.